Friday, September 12, 2008

Dissociative 9/11 Disorder

Yesterday's anniversary came and went and I didn't even realize it had been here. I don't follow the news, whether on TV or online, so I don't know what, if any, are there was.

Everyone seems to have a story, a strong memory of where they were and what they were doing that day way back in 2001. Would it be fair to compare this to JFK's assassination in that the event and the recoil from it seem to linger years afterwards? I'm hardly a scholar on this effect in either instance.

See, I suffer from dissociative 9/11 disorder.

I remember where I was when I first learned about the airplane crashing into the twin towers: I was in a studio art class that morning and, when the teacher came out and announced what had happened, ...I went back to work. I continued with the rest of my day as normal.

I didn't experience any shock or anything. I didn't watch the news constantly and I've never seen any of the footage. It just didn't seem to matter. I didn't feel any injury to America's pride and my love of flags didn't increase. (I've never even owned one.) Maybe had I been living in NYC at the time I would've had some reaction, because I personally would've been affected.

I'm not saying it wasn't a tragedy, just that it didn't elicit any emotional response whatsoever. Am I a bad american citizen? Am I just incredibly disconnected with my fellow human beings and the rest of the world? I think I'll leave that decision to the DSM V.

No comments:

Post a Comment