Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Hearts for Lucy: A Recipe

Lucy and I often drool over the enormous cookies available at coffee houses, so I started experimenting with baking for her. I never did any baking for myself before Lucy came along, but nowadays I'll randomly bake cookies and surprise her with them at work. I found this recipe oatmeal raisin cookies online somewhere and have been adapting it to suit our tastes. The big cookies turn out all cakey and spicy and Lucy really enjoys them. First, I made them with ¾ cups raisins and chocolate chips each, but Lucy thought the chocolate chips were too much. Well, I like the chocolate, so I've been modifying the ratio ever since. Today's batch will taste extra good because I've made them into heart shapes:



Ingredients:
½ cup butter, softened
½ cup butter flavored shortening
1 cup dark brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1½ cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinammon
½ tsp allspice
½ tsp salt
3 cups oats
1 cup raisins
¼ cup chocolate chips (roughly measured... more like one third cup)

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 300°F
2) In a large bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, brown and white sugars, eggs, and vanilla until smooth.
3) Combine the flour, baking soda, cinammon, allspice, and salt into the creamed sugar mixture and stir until just moistened.
4) Stir in the oats, raisins, and chocolate chips.
5) On a baking sheet (I always use parchment paper to keep things from sticking), press out (with your hands!) the cookie dough into your desired cookie shapes (hearts, in this example). The cookies should be almost half an inch thick and at least 4 inches wide. Done right, you should manage only 3 cookies on a sheet.
6) Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the edges start to brown a little. Let them cool a few minutes before removing them from the sheet. (The cookies will be a tad fragile until they've cooled completely.)

Makes about 7 cookies. Don't let the children near these! They're anxiously delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment